I had enjoyed growing vegetables in the small garden of my terraced house. I decided to get a plot in the nearby Callowland allotments. This blog will tell the story of how it progresses. The successes and failures. The hard work and the rewards. Was it worth it? Let's find out......

Sunday 3 May 2009

Asparagus


Here's a picture of the raised bed where I planted 10 crowns of asparagus, variety guelph millenium. Asparagus really needs to be free of weeds but I doubt if that will be the case here. I'm not keen on using any chemicals to kill weeds so I didn't prepare the ground very well. I will probably have to keep this free by hand. Three weeks after planting the first asparagus tip has appeared. However I must resist temptation. Asparagus should not be cut in its first year. And even in the second year it's wise to harvest exceedingly sparingly. It will be 2011 before I get the full benefit of this years planting. The wait will be worth it though!

No comments: