I had enjoyed growing vegetables in the small garden of my terraced house. I decided to get a plot in the nearby Callowland allotments. This blog will tell the story of how it progresses. The successes and failures. The hard work and the rewards. Was it worth it? Let's find out......

Sunday 17 June 2007

Holiday


I've just had a week on holiday down in Looe, Cornwall. I managed to get along to the Eden Project and it was interesting to see their runner beans almost to the top of their poles. My beans are still struggling to make a start up their poles. All the weeds had grown around them and were harbouring lots of slugs and snails. The beans had provided a feast but there was still plenty left to work with. There was nothing for it but to hand weed all around them. The Borlotti beans hadn't been eaten much. That was worth noting for the future.

The potatoes are doing well. The plants are getting bigger. Soon their dense foilage will stop most of the weeds growing around them. I'm already looking forward to harvesting them.

Luckily there was plenty of rain while I was away so the plot didn't suffer from a lack of water.

No comments: