I had enjoyed growing vegetables in the small garden of my terraced house. I decided to get a plot in the nearby Callowland allotments. This blog will tell the story of how it progresses. The successes and failures. The hard work and the rewards. Was it worth it? Let's find out......

Thursday 10 September 2009

Swine Flu

I'm currently in bed with suspect swine flu. I'm not having much luck this year with getting on the plot. Luckily my father has been harvesting and I've got sacks of potatoes in my garage ( nice and clean, no scab or blight yet ), a fridge full of courgettes and a freezer full of runner and french beans ( despite it being a very poor year for beans on my plot). The beans and courgettes have now finished. There are still plenty more potatoes to dig up.

There are also the butternut squash and pumpkins still growing so I'm looking forward to seeing how they are doing. And I want to see if the sprouts have caught up as they were a little slow to get going.

At home my cherry tomatoes have been excellent. The new for 2009 variety 'Sweet Olive' that I tried have been superb. Loads of fruit and in my opinion the best tasting cherry toms I've ever had. They were better than the cherry toms I had in Italy during my 2 week holiday there and that's saying something.

I'll get some pictures at the weekend to show how things are.

1 comment:

Giulia said...

ho capito tutto e sono contenta che tu abbia ancora tanti fagiolini e zucchine. I tuoi pomodori sono veramente eccellenti e migliori dei nostri ciliegini che hanno la pelle dura e sono pieni di semi. Quando verrĂ² prenderĂ² i semi, sperando che vengano uguali anche con il nostro clima. Baci a tutti Nonna