I had enjoyed growing vegetables in the small garden of my terraced house. I decided to get a plot in the nearby Callowland allotments. This blog will tell the story of how it progresses. The successes and failures. The hard work and the rewards. Was it worth it? Let's find out......

Monday 3 May 2010

Take a Leek

If you grow the right things there's always something fresh to take home, no matter what time of year it is. As the potatoes get planted and everything else gets started I'm always taking home a few fresh leeks. These were grown from seed last year. I started them in a seed tray. When they were about 9 inches tall I planted them out on the plot. This was in late July. They've been growing nicely ever since. The first ones were ready a couple of months ago and there's enough left for another few weeks.Leeks can be used to add flavour to lots of dishes. We've found that if they're chopped up and simmered in vegetable stock for about 20 minutes they make a really good acompliment to roast chicken. They are also superb in a risotto and even our children like them cooked like this.

The variety above are 'Musselburgh'. This year I'm growing 'Musselburgh Improved'. I'll be disappointed if I don't think they are better.

No comments: